Friday, November 11, 2011

YAY FOR FLEXIBILITY

A lot of people have been asking me what I am going to do when my 12 weeks of maternity leave is up in 2 weeks.  This is a decision that weighed heavy on my heart throughout my pregnancy & was an easy one to make once Addison was born.

 I LOVE being a mum!  I want to be the person who helps her develop healthy relationships, who helps her develop her gifts, talents & temperaments. I don't want to miss out on celebrating those "first" moments.  It's not that I don't think others are incapable of doing so...I want to be the one to do it.
When I realized this I knew it was going to be extremely difficult for me to return to work but then I had this battle within myself.  I LOVE being a nurse...it's not just a job for me.  While it can be extremely stressful & challenging, knowing you are impacting people's lives...playing a part in saving people's lives, is so rewarding. I have committed myself to be the best nurse I can be through my education in college & continued education after graduation.  I earned my BS in healthcare & BSN, I earned my certifications....
So with all this swirling around in my mind it actually was an easy decision to make, especially with the flexibility of the hospital setting. 
I am returning to the ER casually (PRN/as needed).  I can work as little or as much as I want. I am not committed to any specific shift or any specific length of a shift. My only commitment is that I have to work in the ER for 24 hours in a 6 week schedule.   If I want to work a 6 hour night shift or 8 hour weekend day shift, as long as they are needed in the department, I can.  I'll base my schedule around Philip's & he will mostly be the one taking care of Addison while I am working, especially since my intention is to pick up mostly night shifts from 7pm- 1 or 3 am while Addison is sleeping.
So I get the best of both words.  I get to stay at home with my sweet baby girl & return to the work!!

No comments:

Post a Comment