Tuesday, April 17, 2012

WHAT DIDN'T GET BLOGGED ABOUT

Sunday night it was just Addison & me.  We sat down for dinner; I had curried chicken in a coconut sauce with red cabbage & butternut squash & Addison had apples & turnips.  My meal my absolutely FAN-TASTIC & there is no doubt Addison was enjoying hers.  {This little chick-a-dee loves to eat}.  I actually snapped a few pictures with my iPhone & texted them to my mum because Addison was reallllllly loving her turnips.  Both are things she has had before & done great with.  Almost immediately after finishing her meal she started rubbing her eyes & the next thing I knew she had a ring of red around her lips.  The nurse in me said "she's totally fine, her tongue isn't swollen, she isn't drooling & she is breathing normally, she is still happy, she doesn't have hives...". I waited, thinking maybe her skin was sensitive to the warm water I washed her face with but decided to pull out my stethoscope (only a mum nurse would do that). Her lungs her clear but she was getting redder & redder around her mouth by the minute & her tiny little upper lip started swelling.  I kept thinking "I don't want to be that nurse mum that thinks she knows everything & her kid winds up wicked sick but I don't want to be that crazy mum that gets all worked up over something so simple." I texted the picture to my mum, Philip & my friend Shannon & decided to call the nurse line for our pediatricians office.  While waiting for what seemed like and eternity I dialed the charge RN number to the ER I work in.  She agreed that it didn't seem systemic but passed me to one of the MD's working. He also agreed that it didn't seem systemic, told me to watch her & give her benadryl if I was really concerned. Almost immediately after hanging up the RN from the pediatricians office called me back (meanwhile my awesome neighbor/friend Shannon comes over to check on Addison), we talked everything through & decided to just watch her.  I opted not to give her benadryl because she's never had it & since it clearly wasn't systemic all it was going to do it make her drowsy (probably).  Why do these things always happen when Philip isn't around?
{pre apples & turnips}



{post turnips & apples}
A few other pictures from the weekend that didn't make it into a blog post...

{Sunny Saturday afternoon @ the farmer's market}

{Saturday brunch @ Print Works; rosy cheeks complimentary to an outdoor photo session prior to brunch}
{She was so excited}

{Addison rocking her shades in Emma's lap with Ms. Shannon...we love them}

1 comment: