Sunday, April 22, 2012

STINKY FRUIT



{SOURCE}
How can such a luscious fruit, so aesthetically pleasing, smell so horrid? It's pretty, rich orange, creamy pink/yellow color are deceptive.  As I scrapped out the seeds & peeled away the skin my nose was greeted with a rather unpleasant scent.  I cut the papaya into chunks & realized the horrendous odor was THE papaya.  Immediately I called Philip over to determine if it was in fact the beautiful fruit that I enjoy in so many fashions. Thanks to Google & Philip it was confirmed that this wonderfully sweet & buttery fruit was the culprit.  Having never cut my own before, I had no idea it was such a stinky fruit. I continued on pureeing it & portioning it into the cubes for Addison.  Papaya has tons of nutritional benefits being rich in antioxidants, B vitamins, folic & pantothenic acid, potassium, magnesium & fiber;  all of which promote cardiovascular health, prevention of diabetes, provide protection against colon cancer, immune support, lung health...the list is endless.

Addison enjoyed the taste off the spoon.  I am curious to see if we can add this to her "like" list.  So far the only thing that has made it to the "dislike" list is avocado.  She loves carrots, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, turnips, rutabaga, apples, pears, plums, blueberries, asparagus, mango, zucchini & banana; her favorite combinations is mango/banana & blueberries/squash & plums/carrots.  We are going to introduce some pureed roasted chicken this week because pretty soon she will get to have fish.  She's tried a few spices: cinnamon, yellow curry, paprika & cumin.

No comments:

Post a Comment