Tuesday, April 10, 2012

GRAIN/DAIRY FREE COCONUT-DATE CRACKER

I've been playing around with new recipes lately & can't get enough of these nutty almond crackers. It's super easy & only 4 ingredients {perfect}. It got me thinking what if I subbed out coconut oil for the sesame oil & sweeter spices like pumpkin, cinnamon or nutmeg for the salt.   The first batch I made that was all I did & they were fantastic.  So then I started thinking what if I added other ingredients.  The end result is yummy little snack in the shape of a cracker with it's crispness & taste of a cookie.

What you need:
2 TBS cinnamon
1 C almond meal
1/4 C water
2 TBS flax meal
2 TBS unsweetened coconut
1/4 C dates
1 TBS coconut oil
Baking sheet
rolling pin
2 pieces of parchment paper the size of baking sheet
pizza cutter 

Preheat oven to 200 degrees.



Add water, almond meal, cinnamon, flax seed meal, unsweetened coconut & coconut oil to bowl.

{you can make your own almond meal by processing raw almonds in a food processor & sifting. Be sure not to process too much or you will have almond butter}

h
{I make my owl flax meal by processing raw flax seeds in the food processor until I get my desired texture}
{I buy my unsweetened coconut by the lb from Whole Foods but you can buy bags from Vitacost, WF & other natural food stores}
{If you have never used coconut oil before, don't be alarmed of it's "shortening" like texture.  Take a TBS out & melt it in the microwave for 20 seconds or so}
Next pulse your dates in a food processor until they have a "mealy" texture. Line your baking sheet with 1 piece of parchment paper.
Add the dates to the mixture.  Stir until you have a dough ball formed. Place the ball on your parchment lined baking sheet.
Place the other piece of parchment paper on top & roll until flat & even on baking sheet.
Next score your dough.
Bake for 2+ hours depending on thickness of dough & desired texture {I like crunchy}. When they are finished allow them to cool on parchment paper & remove them.
I like them just the way they are but I am sure they would taste great with some raw, unsalted almond butter or even a banana slice.  You can also crumble it to make granola.

1 comment:

  1. I believe I will need to try one of these! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete