Saturday, March 31, 2012

COOPER RIVER BRIDGE RUN

WOW...what a different take on the event this year!?!  I say event because with 44,000 people registered to run/walk, you can't really categorize it as a race (unless of course you are one of the elitist or in the seeded group). I am usually just a couple of corrals behind the start line in corral "A" or "B".  Even being front-mid pack can be challenging fighting through the crowds of people. Challenge got a whole meaning this year!! Because I ran with Addison in the stroller I was in corral "M"...at the VERY back.  The picture below is the wave start map (note corral "M" & the fact that they had 44,000 registrants this year).

SOURCE
I felt quite nauseated as we approached our corral & I gazed upon the endless crowd of people. All I kept thinking was "how in the world am I going to get past all these people safely while pushing Addison?".  Although the pictures below are the front of the corrals (minus the elitists, who were already finished before the actual "waves" started), it gives a pretty good idea of how THICK the crowd is.
SOURCE

SOURCE

SOURCE
The picture above is coming down the bridge.

So 54 minutes after the gun has fired & the race started; approx 25 minutes after Solomon Deksisa, wins with a time of 29:37...I cross the start & begin to fight my way through the crowd. FIGHT it was.

While I am incredibly thankful that they allowed strollers this year (they were banned in previous years) sticking us in the back with walkers is certainty not the best safety solution. Most people running with strollers are avid runners & in fact, faster than those without strollers. My average pace WITH Addison is under 7:30. I know not every person with a stroller runs that fast or even runs at all but most are truckin' it at a pretty good pace.  I can't be upset with participants walking in front of me because they registered as walkers.  It posed to be a great challenge weaving in & out of people trying to break away & get a decent pace.  It would be awesome if next year they have a designated lane or a corral altogether for runners (runners, not walkers or joggers) with strollers or a staggered start time towards the beginning of the corrals.  It's a lot easier to pass somebody with a stroller than the stroller passing herds of people.

Runners with strollers were designated the right side but that didn't matter to most people, probably 95% of people.  As I yelled, "there is a runner with a stroller coming up behind you", "runner with stroller to your left", etc. people would STOP walking or running altogether & turn around & yell at me. People yelled "running snob", "you are endangering your child", "you move", "strollers aren't allowed", "you aren't safe", "get off the course"...seriously I could go on & on at the things I heard. I had cups of water thrown at me by one woman as she yelled "I hope you trip".  As much negativity as I heard, I did hear "you're awesome", "holy cow she is flying while pushing a stroller", "i want to be able to do that." etc. At the end of the race I can't tell you how many people came up to me & said how inspiring it was to see a me able to run so fast with her.  I finished the 6.2 miles in 57:51 which isn't too shabby considering what breakaways I had to work with & how much starting/stopping there was. I only hit 3 peoples ankles....SO SO SORRY! All & all it was a success.  Addison had a BLAST & we both walked away safe & sound.
{pre race}
{pre race}
{anxious to start}



{addison getting a little antsy}
{post race on the way back to Mt. Pleasant to get the car}
{on the "stinky bus" post race}
I forgot to mention that the race started at least 45 minutes late. We had to wake Addison up at 6:45 so I could get her ready & feed her to get to the starting line by 7:45 (the race start was at 8:00).  She did amazing.  She dozed off a few times in the stroller but didn't get an am nap really. She was all giggles & smiles.

We stuck around the expo long enough to chug some water & snag some fruit but didn't even mess with any of the vendors this year.  I have to admit I was a little sad that we didn't get our usual loads of free stuff.  I wanted to make sure we had plenty of time to get back to the Volvo, get showered, EAT & enjoy the rest of the day in Charleston.

We have a NO chain restaurant rule when we travel.  Usually we plan ahead, reading reviews, talking to locals, etc. With Charleston being the "food capitol of the South" there is no short supply of good eats.  The problem is the herds of people in town & this year a much later race finish time coordinating with restaurant hours. I let Philip choose & we wound up at the Early Bird Dinner which was featured on "Diners, Drive Ins & Dives" (Philip's favorite show).  Philip got chicken & waffles which is what Guy ate on the show & I got a dish called "the mess".  It was a fantastically curried blend of veggies & eggs.  I tasted Philip's chicken & waffles & surprisingly it was great.
The rain held off sight-seeing...well really taking pictures of Addison in our favorite Charleston places & we decided to head home a bit earlier.

We had a nice, short getaway. I am glad I ran the race with Addison but will definitely stick to smaller races with her from now on & by smaller I mean less than 44,000 people, lol.  

No comments:

Post a Comment