Monday, July 23, 2012

we have a diagnosis

While I am incredibly relieved that we finally have a diagnosis & treatment for Addison, there are no words to describe how frustrated I am.

After running a temp of 104° & waking up with a rash I called the doctor's office back & requested Addison to be seen again.  The secretary said "I will transfer you to the advice nurse so you can leave a message." I responded "I don't need advice, I need my daughter to be seen by a physician."  Had I left a message the nurse would have said something like "she was seen Saturday & diagnosed with a virus. Viral rashes are common once the fever breaks..blah, blah, blah." Only Addison was still (and still is) running a fever & I KNEW this was more than a virus.  She was barely eating, acting like her throat hurt, tugging at her right ear & has stinky breath. We are now going on day 4 of running a constant temperature of 102-104°. All of the same symptoms she had on Saturday except now she has a rash. Thank goodness they gave us an appointment because not only does she have STREP THROAT but she has an EAR INFECTION. 

Hopefully she will start returning to normal. Today she is completely drained, only wants me & has the saddest "mum-mum-muma" as if she is miserable.  I love our pediatricians & have complete confidence in their ability to care for my daughter.  I am not bashing them or their ability to practice medicine (afterall, I am just a nurse & they are the ones with medical degrees) BUT I think it's important as a parent to listen to your instinct.  Not all patients present the same way & not everything has a classic presentation.  I just wish they would have swabbed her Saturday per my request when she was seen...she may have already been on the mend.

No comments:

Post a Comment