Wednesday, May 1, 2013

{DIY} Gold Leaf Vase

I was feeling crafty the other day & didn't have a whole lot of time.  I have a TON of mason jars left over from Addison's birthday party & have been using them for various things around the house, mostly vases. I was inspired by this gold leaf vase tutorial that I pinned awhile back. I did mine a little differently but the results are the same.



1) Clean whatever it is you are going to be painting, ensuring it's completely dry before you begin painting
2) Choose the size & amount of stripes you'd like to paint then tape them off
3) Shake your gold leaf paint because it settles at the bottom.  I poured mine in a small paper cup to ensure it was mixed really well.
4) Apply a thin coat to the areas in between your tape.  Make sure it is a thin layer otherwise it will dribble.
5) Let the 1st coat dry for at least an hour.
6) Once it's completely dry apply a 2nd coat.


{ I know the vase tapped off & the completed project are two completely different vases.  I was so excited about how great the mason jar turned out, that I decided to paint some thicker gold stripes on a large clear cylinder vase that was hanging out in my cabinet.  I choose this one to show the vase tapped off because you can really see how thin the first coat is}
7) After the 2nd coat (or 3rd in some cases) is completely dry, carefully peel off the masking tape. Done!

No comments:

Post a Comment