Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Meeting Santa Claus

Do you remember the butterflies you would get as a child; excited with anticipation for Christmas morning, barely being able to sleep the night before, convincing yourself the noises you'd hear in the house was Santa & his reindeer landing? I'd sneak out to "use the bathroom" & peek around the corner hoping to catch a glimpse of Santa in action or at least see what he left behind. As I got older & didn't believe in Santa anymore I'd play along for my younger siblings & loved every moment of it because it allowed the belief in Santa to linger a little bit longer.  I still get those same butterflies when I think about Christmas morning.  Addison has most definitely rekindled a child-like excitement surrounding the holidays, especially this year.  Clearly she doesn't associate Santa with the presents under the tree or all the pretty decorations she is constantly being told not to touch but she most definitely knows who Santa Claus is.  When you ask her what he says she says "ho ho ho" & anytime she sees a depication of Santa she says his name (or Elmo) in a high pitched voice, lol.

I don't really ever recall my parents bringing me to see Santa in the mall, although I know they did because they have pictures.  I am not sure if it just wasn't that memorable or if I had a bad experience and blocked it out of my mind, lol. I was super excited to take her to see Santa in the mall today.  I was a little nervous because I wasn't sure if she'd have stranger anxiety & be frightened or if she would delight in his rosy cheeks & fluffy red suit.  She watched as Arden (my friends 5 month old little girl), cheerfully sat on his lap for her picture. Addison pointed & said "Arden" & "Santa" & "ho ho ho" & even clapped her hands.  A few times she let out a very expressive "oooooh" when the LED Snoopy would move along side of us or the jingle of bell being rung to get Arden's attention would peak Addison's interest.  As we approached, she gave Santa a shy wave & held onto my arm with a death grip.  As I lowered her into his lap she clinged to my arm but I broke away.  She sat without crying but had a "um hey…who is this creepy man" face the entire time.  She kept her hands held in the air, 1 finger pointed (almost as if she was saying no) with her mouth slightly open in a half smile. If Santa would touch her hands to bring them to her side, she'd peer at him out of the corner of her eye like "get your hands off me".  Emilee & I laughed.  Most of the pictures looked like this.  Not one real smile or look of comfort.  It will do.


December 2012: 15 months

December 2011: 3 months

No comments:

Post a Comment