Monday, August 6, 2012

world breastdfeeding week

National Breastfeeding Week is August 1-7th.  It's celebrated to facilitate awareness & support to breastfeeding.
{SOURCE}
I think this picture says it all.  People are often more shocked to find out that I am still breastfeeding my 11 month old then they would be to see a 1/2 naked women walking down the beach.

Women are uninformed, poorly educated & have so many misconceptions when it comes to breastfeeding.  Some people physically cannot do it but most think they can't & it's largely because of lack of support.

I am definitely "shy" when it comes to feeding Addison in public. In fact there has never been an "in public" for us. I have never felt comfortable doing it, even with my nursing cover.  I usually would go my car or find a place where I could be alone.  Part of it was being creeped out with people knowing that is what I was doing & the other part was the looks & stares that it brought. It's sad that we have set up a society that makes women feel embarrassed or ashamed for breastfeeding our children.

We certainly don't make it easy for breastfeeding moms, especially in the work place.  We have designated smoking areas but don't provide women a sanitary environment to pump while we are at work.  Not everyone has the luxury of an office with a door that locks so we often have to resort to pumping in a bathroom (if we are even allowed to pump). I am lucky to even get a 45 min meal break at work, let alone a 15 min break to pump. That alone is enough to make somebody not even give it a shot from the get go.

There are so many benefits of breastfeeding: nutritional benefits for baby,  cost, bonding between mom & baby, immunity support, it's natural, it's great for mom....I could go on & on.

In no way is this meant to knock those that formula fed. I am not passing judgement. Breastfeeding came easily for me but that isn't the case for anybody.  This whole last week is designed to educate.

If you’re a new mom or a mom to be educate yourself & find support. Seek out help, there are tons of local & national organizations for breastfeeding support. Don’t be afraid & don't. Know that a lot of doctors and hospitals push formula....in fact, everything pushes formula. Push through it & try to stay positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment