Monday, October 1, 2012

canvas re-do

Give me some salvaged wood, lace, burlap, mason jars & anything petina & I am a happy girl when it comes to decorating.  It's all over the pages of Ballard Designs, Pottery Barn & Restoration Hardware these days too. I have a ton of left over burlap from Addison's birthday party & have been dying to put it to use.  I made a few headbands, a few burlap rosettes & some silverware holders but I still had about 1 yard left & was in a crafty mood.  I searched Pinterest but nothing was coming up until I found a spoon art tutorial & burlap cork board tutorial.  I then took matters into my own hands & this is what I came up with.


One of the nail heads popped off & I had to hot glue it on top

ONE: I had a faded/dingy canvas print from Urban Outfitters hanging on one of the kitchen walls.  For months I've been looking for something to replace it so I figured, why not re-purpose it & use it as the base for my burlap/utensil project.  Cost=free

TWO: I visited a local thrift shop & picked up slightly petinaed serving utensils. Cost=$5.34

THREE/FOUR: I stopped by Lowe's Hardware & picked up 6 packs of bronze upholstery nails for $1.30 each. Cost=$7.80.
FIVE: I stripped away the fabric from the canvas.

SIX: I was left with a wooden frame & thin transparent fabric canvas.

SEVEN: I laid the canvas across the burlap & cut my piece, leaving approximately 1.5 inches on each side. Cost=free (I had tons of burlap on hand).
EIGHT: Philip used a staple gun & stapled the burlap to the wooden frame.

NINE: I was left with a burlap canvas.

TEN: Next I measured out the places for the upholstery nails & hammered them in place.

 ELEVEN: Next I hot glued the utensils to the center of the canvas.

After letting it dry I hung it in the kitchen.

I am pretty pleased with the turnout. Sure the upholstery nails could have been a little straighter but it's barely noticeable.



No comments:

Post a Comment