Monday, February 11, 2013

First CrossFit Competition in Review




I participated in my first CrossFit "competition" this past Saturday.  It was a partner's competition composed of 3 WOD's in various divisions: Rx Women, Rx Men, Rx Co-ed, Scaled Men, Scaled Women, Scaled co-ed.  Renee & I were team "Girls Gone Rx" & competed in the Women's Rx division.  
WOD #1 was a 3 min AMRAP (as many reps as possible), ground to overhead.  The team choose their own weight & the movement(s) used to get the bar from the ground, overhead with arms fully locked out.  Points were awarded by reps multiplied by weight plus parters.  Renee & I power snatched our weight.  Our strategy was to go light, 65 lb & 55 lb, banging out as many reps as we could.










 WOD #2 was a 10 min AMRAP of box step ups with toes to bar. Partner 1 completes 2 20 inch box step ups while holding 75 lb in the front rack. Once the step ups are complete the bar is passed to partner 2. Partner 2 must hold the bar in the front rack while parter 1 completes 2 toes to bar. Once toes to bar are completed Partner 2 may begin box step ups, increasing reps by 2.
Renee rowing & me cheering her on

cheering Renee on while she rows
WOD #3 was a 5 MIN AMCAP (as many a calories as possible) rowing. Partner 1 rows for 2:30 then Partner 2 completes the remaining 2:30.

It was a great experience, especially for my first competition.  We did great…we Rx'd it & not many female competitors did so that made me proud in and of itself.  I learned that every rep truly counts.  We were literally within reps of teams that beat us.  I learned that our minds are powerful & dangerous. I learned that we are so much more capable then we believe ourselves to be. I already knew my workout partner was awesome & competing reminded me how awesome she is!






No comments:

Post a Comment