Monday, September 12, 2011

zen?!?!

Oh, how life has changed over the last 11 days!?! The things Addison is teaching me...WOW!  Who would have ever thought such a tiny person so could teach me so much?!
We are were totally GO-GO-GO people...rush-aholics! You can't be with a newborn.
Before Addison I felt hyperactive, moving from one thing to another. I guess as a defense against boredom. Reflecting on that, although I got "a lot" accomplished, I don't think I was really enjoying what I was accomplishing. I'd get up, work out, eat breakfast, shower & start checking marks off my tasks.  I mean, I only worked 3  12 hour shifts a week....where did my other 4 days go, what was I spending my time on? 
I don't have a choice but to move more slowly now. Everything from me taking a shower, vacuuming,  to what time we can have visitors, is planned around Addison's needs. Everything is planned around her feedings, baths, naps, etc...whatever works best for HER.   During the day she eats about every 2 hours & right now she is going through a growth spurt so sometimes it's every 1-1.5 hours.  Yeah, I know..she is on the boob more than 1/2 the day I am awake!!! Even with pre-planning and anticipating her needs everything still takes longer to accomplish because they inevitably get interrupted.  I'm totally ok with that.  I can't even tell you the last time I watched a tv show (without falling asleep) or read my favorite blog...actually I can, the day before Addison was born. I am so distracted by Addison that in my down time I am finding myself starring at my beautiful daughter in complete awe and amazement that Philip & I created her...she is ours. She is also teaching me to be more attentive as I learn the sound of her different cries.  I am trying so hard to not read into things...especially as a nurse.  She is teaching me patience...haha, no explanation necessary.
She has undoubtedly taught me a kind of LOVE that I never dreamed I'd experience which is the most important. 
I have thought a whole lot about this "slowing down" thing.  It's sort of counter-intuitive. Slowing down actually helps give our full-attention to what we are doing...it makes us enjoy what we are doing & better at what we are doing.  I think it teaches us to notice more of what's around us.  We aren't just moving from task to task to task.  Thanks Addison!

2 comments:

  1. I have been reading your blog for some time now and your family has definitely been an inspiration. I had to reach out today because this post really confirmed something God has been telling me for a while... SLOW DOWN & enjoy life! Enjoy HIM & His blessings. Thank you for sharing this post... May God continue to bless you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well thanks, i would never have thought my little ramblings could be inspirational to people. i am super happy that this post was able to speak to you & your life situation & that God is able to use my blog in that way. thank you for reading!

    ReplyDelete