Wednesday, March 27, 2013

DIY Burlap Easter Basket





What you need:
  • metal bucket (I picked mine up from Home Depot for $9.99)
  • Burlap (I choose an off color for $2.49/yard from WalMart)
  • Fabric scissors
  • Hot glue gun
  • Measuring tape/ruler
  • Iron
  • Paint (I used a light pink)
  • Foam brush
First I measured my bucket. Next I cut my burlap into a workable length/height leaving about 2 inches of extra material on each side. Next I creased the burlap & ironed so there would be a smooth seam.  


 Next, with the help of my husband, I put a small strip of hot glue along the bottom of the bucket, pulling tightly & adhering the burlap.  I then repeated the process on the top.  Once the bucket was fully wrapped, I trimmed the access burlap, leaving enough room to make a fold on the side of the bucket.  I then hot glued the fold creating an even seam.

I then designed a monogram stencil in Photoshop (any type of typing document will work).  I traced the monogram onto wax paper & cut it out with an exacto knife.

From there I taped the stencil to the burlap & used a foam brush to apply the paint on the stencil.  Once dry I removed the stencil & touched up the monogram.

These are selling for $60.00 at a local boutique.  For a cleaner look of the monogram you could always have it embroidered for $14.00 or so at your local embroidery shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment